Introduction to the Roundcube interface
Figure 1: The Roundcube interface is intuitively designed.
Figure 1 above consists of four main parts. We will now have a closer look at each of them.
- The folder list (1)
The menu at the left hand side of the screen shows all the mail folders in your email account.
You will always find the first five as follows:
You can also create additional folders. Any folder name in bold will have a number in parentheses denoting the number of unread email(s).
- The action bar (2)
This part of the screen contains a number of icons that allow you to perform different actions, depending on what is being shown in the main part of the window (4). In this example, the 7 icons have the following functions, from left to right:
- Refresh Folder: Checks for new messages in the current folder.
- Compose: Creates a new email message.
- Reply: Creates a new message in reply to the currently selected one; it will be addressed to the sender of the selected message only.
- Reply to all: Similar to "Reply", but the reply will not only be addressed to the sender of the selected message but also to all of its recipients. This makes sense if the message was sent to a group of people and you want all of them to receive your answer.
- Forward Message: Forwards the currently selected message to another person.
- Delete: Delete the currently selected message(s), that is, move them to Trash.
- Print: Print the currently selected message.
- The application bar (3)
The three icons at the top right of the screen give you access to different applications which are part of Roundcube. Obviously, this includes the E-Mail component that you have just viewed. In addition to that, there is an Address Book and your Personal Settings. Finally, the logout button terminates your Roundcube session.
You should always logout after using Roundcube to make sure that nobody else using the same computer will be able to access your emails.
- The message list (4)
This part of the screen displays the list of all messages in the folder.
- To view a message, you have to double-click on it.
- You can also select a message by clicking on it once and then perform some action on it using one of the buttons in the action bar, e.g. Reply.
- You can select more than one message by holding the Ctrl/Cmd key and then clicking on a number of messages in succession. To select a range of messages, select the first message, hold the Shift key and then click on the last message you want to select.
- Finally, you can also drag-and-drop messages to another folder. Just select them and drag them over to one of the folders in the folder list to the left by holding the mouse button. This also provides another way of deleting messages -- just drag them into the Trash folder.
To the right of the action bar (2), you can see the search field. This field allows you to search all messages in the current folder. Just enter your search terms and press the Return key. If you are done with your search and want to go back to the original message list, click on the little (X) symbol to the right of the search field.
When entering a search string Roundcube will search in subject and from headers only. Specific searching is available. Just precede the word to search for with one of the following keywords: from, to, cc, subject or body. Here are a few examples finding emails with 'from' containing 'richard' and 'subject' containing 'foo.'